April's Life Adventures


Experiences in my life that hopefully always lead to happiness. My joys, my sorrows, my kids, my world.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Home at Last!

We have finally returned home after our wonderful vacation! All told, we put over 2,000 miles on our rental car. Here is my recap of the trip, which was a fabulous experience.

Starting out by driving up to Antioch California, we watched Sultry Husband's play on Friday night. It was an exciting yet overwhelming experience for him. That night was just the two of us, as he wanted to enjoy the play without any distractions. Saturday night we took M with us to see the play. She seemed to really enjoy it and talked about the many twists and turns within the plot for days afterward.

On our way into Antioch, we stopped in Brentwood. That town, above any other I have visited, has the best produce. It is all locally grown and sold at small fruit stands all along the road. We visited our old favorite stand for some strawberries, which I have to admit, are the best I have ever tasted.

The fruit is always allowed to vine ripen, and they were picked the very day that we purchased them. There has to be something about living in a place with such wonderful produce!

The next leg of our trip took us a little further south within California. We visited my Brother and his family. M and L absolutely loved playing with their cousins, in fact, they have taken to calling each other "cousin" because it is more fun to play with cousins than sisters... Interesting. Anyway, we spent a day at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but my camera didn't charge the day before... Therefore, the pictures will not be posted here. We borrowed my Brother's camera, but I have not had the chance to have them sent on to me yet. I will post a few when we get them.

My parents are serving a mission for our church. They are living up on a very huge ranch, and providing a way for the youth to go up and experience a real pioneer trek. For those readers who don't know what I am talking about, there is a long history of our church and handcart pioneers who traveled to Utah. There is way more history and experiences there than I could share, but there is a fantastic book for any who are interested called "Fire of the covenant" by Gerald Lund, if you are so inclined to learn a bit more... To make a long story short, we went up to the ranch, and went on a little mini trek with our girls. They loved the experience and our guides (my parents) told beautiful and poignant stories of the crossing of the pioneers. It was a fantastic experience, one that I hope to repeat again. I wanted to post a couple of pictures from the trek, but blogger doesn't seem to want to let me do it... Perhaps a post for another day.

Driving along for that many hours in a row, would have felt tedious if it were not for a few wonderful ideas we had. We purchased a portable DVD player that had two screens to attach to the backs of the two front seats. Both girls watched movies on their own screen. No fighting, no complaining about not being able to see, just happy girls. We also read a book. Sultry Husband would drive along as I read out loud to him. We didn't quite finish it, but we plan to in the next week or so. The miles seemed to just melt away before us.

It was a fantastic journey. The ease and happiness we felt along the way has brought us closer together as a family, and has definitely hit us with the travel bug. I wouldn't be surprised to see us packing up the car again in the near future... what will our next destination be? Unknown at the moment, but I will tell you this, Sultry Husband needs to acrue some more vacation days before we can hit the road... till then, we shall continue to enjoy fond memories of this road trip.


Posted by April_Mommy :: 1:42 PM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------