April's Life Adventures


Experiences in my life that hopefully always lead to happiness. My joys, my sorrows, my kids, my world.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Tiki

I have decided that it is time for the world to meet Tiki. He is one of the favorite members of my family. He is green, grey, and blue. He is my Quaker Parrot. We raised him from a hatchling of about 2 weeks old. This bird loves me!

We really don't know if Tiki is a girl or a boy parrot, and I am not sure if it really matters. My husband and I started calling Tiki a boy from the beginning (probably because our dogs are boys), anyway my Dad insists that Tiki is a girl because "she" is so sweet and gentle... I sort of agree, but the only way to find out for sure is to pay a vet to do a DNA test on the poor thing, which I don't see as worth the trouble at this point. Perhaps if Tiki lays an egg in about 10 years we will know for sure, but until then, Tiki is a he in our eyes.

Last night, the funniest thing happened. My husband and I were playing a card game and Tiki was walking around on the table with us. He would come up and nudge my hand so I would pet him. I noticed a little bit of a "mess" that Tiki had left on the table, so I grabbed a paper towel to clean it up. I no sooner started rubbing the area than Tiki attacked the towel! He grabbed on and would not let go, so I started dragging him around the table. We laughed so hard that I cried! Tiki laughed too (his laugh is actually a reproduction of mine... When I laugh, Tiki laughs, which makes me laugh harder, which makes Tiki laugh harder). Anyway, just picture this little green bird sliding all over the table because he wouldn't let go of the paper towel that was supposed to clean up his mess...

As for words, Quaker Parrots are the second best talkers out there (just behind the African Grey's). Tiki is almost two years old, still a baby, but he already says "goodnight Tiki Bird" because that is what I have said to him every night as I cover his cage with a blanket. He laughs, he is starting to bark at my dogs, he sings words to songs that we sing with him, and the funniest is that he mimics the sound that my squeaky cupboards make when I open them. (I would put some WD-40 on the hinges to stop the squeak, but his sounds would then stop too, and they make me laugh too much. Which makes Tiki laugh, which makes me laugh... You get the idea).

Quaker parrots are great fun, Tiki will live about 30 years, so they are also an investment, yet I am thrilled with the results of my hand raising him... Gentle, loving, and silly. Tiki Bird is probably my favorite pet (don't tell my dogs, they may get jealous and try to eat him).

Posted by April_Mommy :: 9:24 AM :: 6 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------