April's Life Adventures


Experiences in my life that hopefully always lead to happiness. My joys, my sorrows, my kids, my world.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Connection

I am trying my hand at this week's Anamnesis #8

Connection

A friend asked me to invite a lonely guy to the dance. I was a likely candidate because I had sworn off boyfriends. Oh, I had one, sort of. He was in Texas, but I had quit writing him a month previous because I was tired of him asking me to marry him through every single letter. I told him no, way too many times to count, he was not the right one for me, so I quit returning his letters. I hadn't cut off the relationship yet because I thought it was a cruel thing to do unless I could cut it off in person... Sending what is called a "dear John". We just had no connection, no spark.

This particular dance was a "Girl's Choice", and therefore, a girl must ask or the fellow could not participate. I was not interested in this guy, he was definitely not interested in me. What he was interested in however, was his friends that would be at the party before and after the dance. We were having a murder mystery dinner, which means that everyone would be dressed up in costume, stage names, and a murder was supposed to be solved by figuring out clues from the character sketches that we all were given. At least, everyone else had a character sketch but me. I was a last minute addition to the original script you see, so I was supposed to make up a character as we went along. My friend who was in charge however forgot to inform me of this... I was unprepared.

Enter the Police Officer investigating the crime. A devilishly handsome rookie in full police costume, including the requisite night stick, handcuffs, and "Chips" glasses. My main problem was that my friend, the host, was his date. I knew that for sure he was taken. Men are like that... a joke I once heard... "Men are like parking spaces, all the good ones are taken or handicapped." imagine my surprise when he saunters up to me to grill my character for information on the Murder. I didn't have any clues and I cracked. Running to my friend, she helped me understand the game, and I was able to resume my "role" as a shady lady from the wrong side of the tracks.

Through the evening, Officer Frank N. Beans kept finding reasons to ask me questions. He didn't know that I was making up my answers as we went along. He was convinced that I was the murder suspect. He was so convinced, that he actually put his handcuffs on me at the end and attempted to arrest me. I was innocent of course and he was forced to release the innocent lady with the poetic name of Marry Menow.

My date didn't exist. He wanted nothing to do with me. All he wanted to do was hang out with the friends that he came to the party to see. I was alone at the dance, I watched the handsome cop twirling my friend around the dance floor and jealousy crept into my mind. I kept telling myself that this was crazy because he was obviously taken.

After the dance, we returned to my friend's home for desert. Officer Beans was alone because his date was busy serving everyone. He found me again, saying "So, April, I hear you are a music major". I about fainted. I had never told this handsome stranger my real name, my major, or any other important information. He had done his homework throughout the entire evening! He was interested in ME, not just my character! I decided to make it easy on him as he asked where I lived... I invited him to stop by sometime and he said "oh I intend to. How about Sunday?"

The ride home with my friend was filled with excitement. You see, he was actually a good friend of hers. She had no claim on him, nor was she interested. He was free! I had two whole days until he would come to see me again... So I thought. He knocked on my door Saturday afternoon. I wasn't home... My room mates told me later that this really cute guy came by to see me. I about died! I was in love and all I knew about him was that he is an incredible dancer and actor. He came again on Sunday, and the rest, well that is a much longer story. Let's just say that we indeed had a connection.

Posted by April_Mommy :: 9:43 AM :: 8 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------